Child and Family Psychology Internship Scholarship

Learn about this scholarship, which is designed to support people to study the University of Canterbury’s Postgraduate Diploma in Child and Family Psychology.

Level of compliance Main audience Other


  • Students
  • Teachers and Kaiako
  • Tertiary Education Organisations

Before applying for the Child and Family Psychology Internship Scholarship, ensure that you meet the associated criteria and are aware of the application process. 

Key information

You must be enrolled in the Postgraduate Diploma in Child and Family Psychology(external link) at the University of Canterbury to be eligible for this scholarship.

You can apply for the scholarship online(external link)

Before submitting your application please read each section of this page carefully.

You should apply for this scholarship even if you don’t need financial support. This scholarship provides intern placement and supervision as well as financial support. If you don’t want financial support, please make this clear in the covering letter you include with your application.

 *You are not eligible to receive financial support through the scholarship if you are currently employed by the Ministry of Education.

Other Psychology Scholarships

The Ministry also offers a number of scholarships in Educational Psychology.

Educational Psychology Internship Scholarship

What the scholarship provides

The scholarship will:

pay you $31,500 for the internship year in 2021. Paid in three instalments.

To receive your payment we will check with your University and your placement supervisor to ensure you are progressing well in your course.

The internship will:

provide placement and supervision in a Ministry office.

Important dates in applying for the scholarship

Action Dates
Applications close 4 October 2021
Applicants notified 3 December 2021

Who is eligible for this scholarship?

To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:

  • be accepted into the scholarship year of the Child and Family Psychology programme offered by the University of Canterbury.
  • intend to work as a psychologist with us for at least 2 years after becoming registered.
  • be a New Zealand citizen or have New Zealand permanent residency.
  • hold a current New Zealand driver's licence (Full).
  • not be repeating a failed course.
  • not be employed by the Ministry of Education or RTLB.
  • Not be receiving other scholarships or study awards from the Ministry of Education.

We will give priority to applicants who are fluent in Te Reo Māori, a Pacific language or NZ Sign Language and can demonstrate experience working with a diverse range of children with additional learning needs.

What to include in your application

Your application must include:

  • your resume
  • academic grades (grades) for your highest and most recent qualifications.
  • application additional information sheet [DOCX, 160 KB]
  • a cover letter outlining the factors below:
    1. Your reason for applying
    2. Your future commitment to work for us as a psychologist for at least 2 years after obtaining registration.
    3. Your level of financial hardship.
    4. Academic ability.
    5. Your preferred placement location and your willingness to relocate.

We will give priority to applicants who:

  • are fluent in Te Reo Māori, a Pacific language or NZ Sign Language (NZSL)
  • have demonstrated experience working with a diverse range of children with additional learning needs. Our decision to grant or not grant a scholarship is final and we will not enter into any discussion about it.

The postgraduate diploma the scholarship supports

This scholarship supports the University of Canterbury’s Postgraduate Diploma in Child and Family Psychology(external link)

If you are a successful applicant, we may offer you placement and supervision to complete your practicums. 

For more information about the course

If you have any questions regarding the diploma, please contact the University of Canterbury:

Karyn France

Your responsibilities for meeting the scholarship conditions

If you are granted a scholarship, you must meet certain conditions. The specific terms and conditions will be listed in your letter of offer. In brief, you must:

  • enrol in your courses at university
  • plan your study and workload for the year 
  • pass your course papers
  • email us at if any of the information you provided in your application changes – this includes your employment status, contact details and any changes to your proposed study.

Failure, withdrawal, breaks in study and changes to employment

If you...then...
Fail a paper You will need to re-take that paper at your own expense.
Withdraw from study part way through the qualification You will need to pay back all academic fees that we have paid for your study.
Need to take a break from study due to unforeseen circumstances You can request a study break of up to one year. You will need to contact us at and your university to discuss your request. The Study Award and Scholarship Advisor will decide whether to approve your request. You will agree to forfeit any future right to the internship if you do not take up your study again within the agreed period. In this case, you will also need to pay back all academic fees that we have paid.

Required disclosures


Your application must disclose any convictions you have had unless they are covered by the Criminal Records (Clean Slate Act) 2004. This is required to ensure that you would not be prevented from gaining future employment with the Ministry of Education.

You must declare all of your convictions if you have:

  • been convicted of an offence within the last 7 years; or
  • been sentenced to a custodial sentence (eg, imprisonment, corrective training, borstal); or
  • been ordered by a court during a criminal case to be detained in a hospital due to your mental condition, instead of being sentenced; or
  • been convicted of a ‘special offence’ (eg, sexual offending against children, young people or those mentally impaired); or
  • not paid in full any fine reparation or costs ordered by the court in a criminal case; or
  • been indefinitely disqualified from driving under section 65 of the Land Transport Act 1998 or earlier equivalent provision.

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback