Principal Recruitment Allowance
The Principal Recruitment Allowance helps our most high need state and state integrated schools and kura attract a highly effective principal to a principal vacancy.
Who can apply to offer the allowance
Boards that face significant challenges can apply to the Ministry of Education to be considered for eligibility to offer this allowance as part of the recruitment process.
Any school board may apply, not just those that belong to a Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako. The school and principal must each meet a range of separate eligibility criteria.
The allowance is on top of other remuneration offered by the employing board. The recipient is expected to provide the leadership needed to improve a school’s student achievement.
Information for job applicants
If you’re applying for a principal vacancy that’s been advertised with the allowance you should be aware that:
- the fixed term allowance attaches to a permanent principal position.
- both the school and the applicant must meet separate eligibility criteria for the allowance to be payable.
- the initial period of the allowance is for a fixed term of 3 years; a board may seek approval to renew the allowance for a further period of up to 2 years (the allowance cannot be renewed more than twice).
- approval for payment (or renewal) of the allowance is discretionary and may be subject to conditions imposed by the Secretary for Education.
- consideration will be given to each expression of interest on its merits.
- the allowance is on top of other remuneration offered by the employing board.
- the allowance will end when the fixed period of the allowance ends, regardless of whether the principal ceases to be employed as a principal at the school; or when the principal ceases to be employed as a principal at the school.
How to apply
The following guide sets out the eligibility criteria and includes assessment information. It also sets out the expectations of principals who receive the allowance.
To be considered for eligibility your employer must fill out the following expression of interest form and email it to:
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback