Primary Principals' Collective Agreement
Download this agreement
If you want a printed copy of this agreement we suggest you download the following PDF version.
Primary Principals' Collective Agreement [PDF, 676 KB]
Note that documents are available in Adobe PDF format only. Accessible versions, where available, can be supplied on request.
Licensing Criteria Cover
Appendix 4: Terms and Conditions of Service of Employees in the Chatham/Pitt Is
Primary Principals' Collective Agreement
Effective: 26 August 2019 to 25 August 2022
We are making improvements to our Download to Print functionality, so if you want a printed copy of this agreement please download the PDF version of the Primary Principals' Collective Agreement.
1 House Rents
Ministry house rentals for all employees shall be based on the standard rural rent formula.
2 Housing (Other)
Heavy furniture and blinds, as in the agreed schedule, plus garage/storeroom shall be provided for employee households. Storage costs shall be met by employing authorities as an official expense for household effects left on the mainland and for freight and effects forwarded back to the mainland before completion of employment on the Chatham Islands, with government bulk storage facilities used as appropriate.
3 Fuel and Power
3.1 Coal, diesel and gas shall be provided free of charge.
3.2 Employees shall pay the cost of their domestic electricity consumption depending on the size of their household. This shall be up to the following maximums:
Household Size Maximum Annual Payment ($) 1 person $472.93 2-4 persons $716.00 5+ persons $803.97
- Where employee households exceed the maximum domestic electricity consumption cost, as provided for in the table above, employees shall be reimbursed the additional cost by their employing authority.
- The maximum domestic electricity consumption costs shall be based on Ministry of Commerce data. The formula shall be based on the average mainland electricity consumption costed at 9.001 cents per unit and shall be expressed as follows:
Household Size Annual Unit Consumption ($) 1 person 5,000 2-4 persons 7,570 5 + persons 8,500
- The unit price shall be updated as the mainland average changes.
- The principal of Pitt Island School shall not be required to pay electricity costs under this clause.
3.3 Teachers who are required to run the generator for both the school and their house will receive an allowance of $4.11 per day.
4 Motor Vehicles
4.1 All freight and landing charges shall be paid by employing authorities both ways.
4.2 Employees who transport their own vehicles to the Chatham Islands and Pitt Island shall receive an extra vehicle allowance of $2,739 per annum.
5 Payment of Fares to Mainland for Annual Leave
Employing authorities shall pay actual or equivalent return air fares by normal air flights to enable employees and their families to take annual leave on the mainland. For Pitt Island employees the subsidy shall also cover the associated return air travel between Pitt Island and Chatham Island. This provision is based on the following conditions:
- That employees shall become eligible for the subsidy on each anniversary of their arrival in the Chatham Islands;
- Teachers may anticipate subsidised leave trips at the Christmas term break if appointed during the school year and may also defer subsidised leave trips until the Christmas break following the completion of a years' school service;
- All family members shall be eligible for the subsidised passage but shall not be required to take them together at the same time;
- A passage order for the full return fare is to be issued to the employee or the relevant airlines. This shall also cover the case of Pitt Island employees travelling between Pitt Island and Chatham Island in order to travel to the mainland;
- Employees are encouraged to take at least a two-week vacation on the mainland whenever a subsidy is paid;
- Where employees and/or family members elect not to utilise their subsidised passage, this instead, subject to the approval of the employer, shall be able to be used to subsidise the return travel of a family/whanau member from the mainland;
- In addition to annual leave mainland travel, Pitt Island employees shall be eligible for two return airfares between Pitt and Chatham Islands per annum which shall be based on the same premise as subclause (d) above;
- Subsidised leave passages must be used within a year of their becoming due; if not they are forfeited.
6 Secondary Schools Allowance
The secondary school allowance shall be based on the following conditions:
- Standard boarding bursary;
- A boarding bursary for the term breaks excluding the December/January period if the pupils do not return to the Chatham Islands for those periods;
- The cost of return air fares for the four term breaks;
- The cost of internal travel between airport and the child's school for the December/January period only;
- For pupils resident on Pitt Island, free passage between Pitt and Chatham Islands at the beginning and end of each school term.
7 Chatham Islands Allowance
7.1 The allowance shall be:
Basic Rate ($) Basic Rate plus Partner ($) Child Supplement (per Child) ($) Isolation 806.56 1,613.11 Freight * 2,662.42 4,119.96 665.64
* The Freight component will be adjusted to reflect actual costs of the freight component provided in clause 7.2 below.
- The freight component, as provided for in clause 7.1 above, shall be based on the following:
Basic Rate ($) Plus Partner ($) Shipping 1,058.93 1,345.61 Chatham duties, etc 211.89 269.23 Freight forwarders 404.49 808.98 Air freight 372.70 745.39 Sub Total 2,048.00 3,169.20 Tax Reimbursement 614.43 950.76 Total 2,743.68 4,119.96
- The Chatham Island duties, etc shall be calculated on the basis of 20 per cent of the shipping freight cost.
- Freight forwarders shall be calculated on the basis of one cubic metre from the point of purchase to freight forwarders ($12.39) from freight forwarders to a port of embarkation ($28.00) at 10 times per annum for the basic rate. Two metres shall be the basis for the basic rate plus partner calculation.
- Air freight shall be calculated on the basis of its minimum charge of $14.95 per kilo, per fortnight (two kilos for the basic rate plus partner).
- Employing authorities may reimburse employees for other freight costs additional to those provided for in paragraphs (a)-(d) above.
7.3 The isolation component shall be adjusted annually according to movements in the isolation allowance.
7.4 The freight component shall be adjusted according to actual movements in freight costs of shipping freight forwarders and air freight plus tax rate changes.
7.5 Employees on Pitt Island shall receive an additional freight component of $688.05 based on 12 flights per annum. This shall be adjusted according to actual cost movements by aviation.
7.6 Payment of fares to Mainland for professional development
Employing authorities shall pay an actual or equivalent return air fare (not to exceed $2,000) by normal air flight per principal per annum for the purposes of professional development. The professional development will require the approval of the Board. The principal shall become eligible for the subsidy on each anniversary of their arrival in the Chatham Islands.
8 Chatham Island Removal Expenses
Employees who are eligible for removal expenses under clause 1.1 of Appendix 2 of this Agreement shall be entitled to the provisions set out in Appendix 2. Where a service provided by the Ministry for the transfer of their effects and transit insurance is not available, the employee is eligible for the reimbursement of 100% of the actual and reasonable expenses arising from the transfer of their effects.
All employees recruited from the Mainland shall be eligible for these provisions as provided in clauses 1-8 above. Employees recruited locally from the Chatham and Pitt Islands shall also be eligible for the provisions of clauses 3, 6 and the isolation component of clause 7.1 above and where that employee leaves the island at the end of their employment for another position in the teaching service that employee shall be entitled to the provisions in clauses 4.1 and 7.2 above.