Advisory Group on Charter Schools
Advisory Group 2018 - 30 April 2019:
The primary role of the advisory group was to advise the Minister of Education on the performance of charter or partnership schools kura hourua, while they operated under this model during 2018.
The role of the six member advisory group was to undertake regular monitoring and review of the performance of charter schools and, as requested by the Minister of Education, to provide further advice on other charter school related matters.
The Advisory Group was chaired by Bruce Adin, with Bernardine Vester as deputy chair. The other members are Murray Jack, Te Rau Kupenga, Moe Milne, and Jason Swann.
Bruce Adin QSO (Chair): Bruce Adin has significant management and governance experience in education, having been Northern Regional Manager for the Ministry of Education from 2004-16, overseeing early childhood education and compulsory schooling in the Northland and Auckland regions. He was previously a member of Massey University Council, and chair of Auckland College of Education Council. Bruce has also worked as a teacher and has significant experience as a school principal, and was awarded a Queen’s Service Order (QSO) for services to education.
Bernardine Vester (Deputy Chair): Bernardine Vester has extensive experience in governance in the education sector. She currently chairs Teach First New Zealand and runs an education consultancy business. She has served as chair or member on three new school establishment boards in South Auckland, and has worked as a governance facilitator with schools. Bernardine was CE of the former City of Manukau Education Trust from 2000 - 2011. She is a member of the board of the Contemporary Art Trust, and a member of the steering group for Counties-Manukau District Health Board Grow Your Own Workforce project.
Murray Jack: Murray Jack is the former Chair (2011-14) and Chief Executive (2005-11) of Deloitte New Zealand and has over 30 years’ experience as a management consultant. He has been involved in a number of independent reviews for Ministers and government agencies. He is chair of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, chair of the Financial Markets Authority and chair of Education Payroll Limited.
Te Rau Kupenga: Te Rau Kupenga has a long history of consultancy work on topics ranging from treaty settlement negotiations to strategic planning. He has worked as Raukara/Chief Advisor for Te Ao Māori for the Ministry of Education, and was Deputy Secretary Treaty Negotiations and Relationships at the Ministry for the Environment. He is a barrister and solicitor with extensive legal experience, and is fluent in te reo Māori. He is a trustee for Nga Taonga Sound and Vision, Eastland Community Trust, and Hayward Films Trust.
Moe Milne ONZM: Moe Milne has worked in health, education, and social services in Northland and has a significant profile in Te Ao Māori and Te Ao Tauiwi with strong Māori skills and ties. She is fluent in te reo me ona tikanga. She is a trustee of Foundation North, and brings skills from her role as an adviser and contractor for Te Rau Matatini and Te Pou o te Whakaaro nui – mental health workforce development.
Jason Swann: Jason Swann is the current president of the New Zealand Pasifika Principals Association and has a long history of working with Pasifika students and in the management and administration of schools. He has been Principal of Otahuhu primary school since 2009 and is on the Board of Trustees of a secondary school. He has served on Ministry of Education sector reference groups on professional learning and development and Tapasā Cultural Competencies framework for Teachers of Pasifika Learners.
Terms of reference
Fees for members of the Advisory Group on Charter Schools were assessed in accordance with the Cabinet Fees Framework (Cabinet Office Circular 12(6)). The Advisory Group fell within Group 4 (‘All other committees and other bodies’) and was scored at level 2.
Based on this, per diems for members of the Advisory Group ranged from $505.60 -$818 (exclusive of GST).
Members of the Advisory Group were also reimbursed for actual and reasonable travel, meal and accommodation costs.
- Cabinet Paper: Appointment of Ministerial Advisory Group on Charter Schools (May 2018) [PDF, 1.7 MB]
- Education Report: Appointment of Members of the Advisory Group (April 2018) [PDF, 4.7 MB]
- Briefing Note: Potential candidates for Advisory Group on Charter Schools (Jan 2018) [PDF, 396 KB]
- Education Report: Revised partnership schools kura hourua advisory group (Dec 2017) [PDF, 737 KB]
Advisory Group meeting minutes
- Advisory Group minutes: 12 March 2019 [PDF, 206 KB]
- Advisory Group minutes: 11 February 2019 [PDF, 945 KB]
- Advisory Group minutes: 10 December 2018 [PDF, 1.9 MB]
- Advisory Group minutes: 9 October 2018 [PDF, 1.7 MB]
- Advisory Group minutes: 30 August 2018 [PDF, 72 KB]
- Advisory Group minutes: 17 July 2018 [PDF, 954 KB]
- Advisory Group minutes: 22 May 2018 [PDF, 1.1 MB]
Authorisation Board 2013-2018:
The term of the previous Authorisation Board expired on 1 March 2018.
Minutes from Authorisation Board meetings:
Minutes of the meetings held in 2017
- 13 December 2017 DRAFT [PDF, 114 KB]
- 10 October 2017 [PDF, 785 KB]
- 28 August 2017 [PDF, 1.4 MB]
- 11 July 2017 [PDF, 930 KB]
- 30 May 2017 [PDF, 1018 KB]
- 11 April 2017 [PDF, 633 KB]
- 07 March 2017 [PDF, 578 KB]
Minutes of the meetings held in 2016
- 16 November 2016 [PDF, 330 KB]
- 12 October 2016 [PDF, 933 KB]
- 15 September 2016 [PDF, 564 KB]
- 16 August 2016 [PDF, 435 KB]
- 13 July 2016 [PDF, 238 KB]
- 9 June 2016 [PDF, 139 KB]
- 5 May 2016 [PDF, 959 KB]
- 12 April 2016 [PDF, 161 KB]
- 25 February 2016 [PDF, 254 KB]
Minutes of the meetings held in 2015
- 9 December 2015 [PDF, 698 KB]
- 23 November 2015 [PDF, 134 KB]
- 28 September 2015 [PDF, 113 KB]
- 11 August 2015 [PDF, 90 KB]
- 29 July 2015 [PDF, 73 KB]
- 21 May 2015 [PDF, 107 KB]
- 26 March 2015 [PDF, 98 KB]
- 29 January 2015 [PDF, 164 KB]
Minutes of the meetings held in 2014
- 04 December 2014 [PDF, 158 KB]
- 10 November 2014 [PDF, 250 KB]
- 23 April 2014 [PDF, 111 KB]
- 09 April 2014 [PDF, 110 KB]
- 24 March 2014 [PDF, 146 KB]
- 05 February 2014 [PDF, 380 KB]
Minutes of the meetings held in 2013
- 12 November 2013 [PDF, 1.7 MB]
- 22 October 2013 [PDF, 2.8 MB]
- 20 September 2013 [PDF, 142 KB]
- 11 September 2013 [PDF, 2.4 MB]
- 30 August 2013 [PDF, 719 KB]
- 25 February 2013: Inaugural meeting [PDF, 977 KB]
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback