Export Education Levy changes information release
Proactive release of Education Reports related to changes to the Export Education Levy.
The policy advice on addressing the immediate pressures on the Export Education Levy (EEL) has been proactively released to ensure information which is of public interest is made available. The EEL has been under significant financial pressure due to sharp increases in Private Training Establishment (PTE) failures leading to international student reimbursements.
The rate for PTEs will increase from 0.45% to 0.89% of international student tuition fees, and from 0.45% to 0.50% for universities, Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics (ITPs) and private schools. State and state-integrated schools have their EEL contribution deducted from the International Student Levy they pay, which will not increase in 2019. There will also be a reduction in annual expenditure commitments from the EEL of $300,000.
The new rates take effect from 1 January 2019. Payments for trimester one 2019 will be at the new rates while payments made in January or February 2019 for trimester three 2018 will be at the old rate.
- Education Report: Use of the Export Education Levy to reimburse the Crown following the closure of Linguis and NZNC’s business programmes [PDF, 843 KB]
- Education Report: Export Education Levy 2017 review – findings and options [PDF, 746 KB]
- Briefing Note: International Education Ministers’ meeting 9 April 2018 – talking points for Export Education Levy oral item [PDF, 265 KB]
- Education Report: Addressing immediate Export Education Levy equity balance pressures [PDF, 2 MB]
- Education Report: Further advice on alleviating immediate pressures on the Export Education Levy [PDF, 2.8 MB]
- A3 - Background and options considered to alleviate immediate pressures on the Export Education Levy (EEL) [PDF, 661 KB]
- A3 - Options to Address Pressures on the Export Education Levy [PDF, 624 KB]
- Briefing Note: Draft Cabinet paper on Export Education Levy changes [PDF, 216 KB]
- Education Report: Export Education Levy reimbursement to NZQA for direct costs from the closure of five providers [PDF, 924 KB]
- Briefing Note: Final Cabinet paper addressing pressures on the Export Education Levy and consultation on proposed increases to the levy [PDF, 777 KB]
- Cabinet paper: Addressing pressures on the Export Education Levy and consultation on proposed increase to the levy [PDF, 2.1 MB]
- Briefing Note: Cabinet Social Wellbeing Committee meeting: Addressing pressures on the Export Education Levy and consultation on proposed increases to the levy [PDF, 806 KB]
- Cabinet Social Wellbeing Committee - Minute of Decision - Export Education Levy: Addressing Pressures and Consultation on Proposed Increases [PDF, 692 KB]
- Briefing Note: Draft Export Education Levy consultation document and draft letters to stakeholders [PDF, 776 KB]
- Education Report: Changes to Export Education Levy—consultation feedback and recommendations [PDF, 3.2 MB]
- Education Report: Draft Cabinet paper to set the new Export Education Levy rates [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Briefing Note: Cabinet Legislation Committee meeting: Increasing the Export Education Levy rates [PDF, 1 MB]
- Cabinet Legislation Committee - Minute of Decision - Education (Export Education Levy) Amendment Regulations 2018 [PDF, 674 KB]
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback