The Ngārimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarship and Video Competition Winners
The Ngārimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarships and Video Competition Awards ceremony was held at Parliament on Wednesday 7 April 2021.
Associate Education Minister Kelvin Davis, alongside Robert ‘Bom’ Gillies of the B Company 28th (Māori) Battalion, presented the recipients with their awards. The event acknowledged the recipients and was an opportunity to celebrate their success with the Ngārimu Board, whānau and each other.
This year’s scholarship recipients are:
- Kirihautu Durie-Ngata, Te Aitanga-a-Hauiti, Ngāti Porou, Ngāti Kauwhata, Rangitāne, Ngāi Tahu
- Rakaitemania Parata Gardiner, Ngāti Porou, Te Whānau-ā-Apanui, Ngāti Pikioa, Ngāi Tahu, Ngāti Awa
- Isaac Smiler, Ngāti Kahungunu, Waikato, Ngāi Tahu
- Roimata-O-Te-Ora Claasen, Ngāti Porou
- Traci Crawford, Te Aitanga-a-Hauiti, Ngāti Kahukuranui, Ngāti Porou
- Hanareia Ehau-Taumaunu, Ngāti Uepōhatu, Ngāti Porou, Te Ātiawa, Te Whānau-ā-Apanui
This year’s recipients of the video competition awards are:
- Anahera Te Moana, Te Whānau-a-Apanui, Ngāti Porou, Te Arawa
- Jessica Jenkins, Ngāti Kahungunu ki Wairarapa Tāmaki nui-a-Rua
This year’s recipient of the Manakura Award is:
- Tā Harawira Gardiner KNZM, Ngāti Awa, Ngāti Pikiao, Te Whakatōhea, Te Whānau-ā-Apanui
The Ngārimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Scholarship Fund Board was established in 1945 for the purposes of administering funds that support Māori educational success. The Fund commemorates Māori service in the Second World War, and Second Lieutenant Te Moananui a Kiwa Ngārimu, who was awarded the Victoria Cross.
Ngārimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarships
Read about the some of this year’s recipients on the Tukutuku Kōrero website.
Strong whānau connection to Ngārimu scholarships(external link)
Video competition honours tīpuna(external link)
Ngārimu legacy supports Māori research(external link)
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback