Ngārimu Scholarship winners 2019/20
The annual Ngārimu Scholarship awards evening was held at Parliament last night (Weds 11/03), hosted by Associate Education Minister Kelvin Davis.
The awards ceremony is an annual event which acknowledges scholarship recipients and their whānau, and is also an opportunity for the Ngārimu Board to showcase the recipients and celebrate their success with the remaining survivors of the 28th Māori Battalion.
This year’s scholarship recipients are:
- Awatea Moxon, Ngāti Kahungunu and Ngāi Tahu
- Marise Stuart, Ngāti Kahungunu ki Wairarapa and Ngāpuhi ki Taiamai
- Cassiopeia Harrison, Ngāti Porou, Te Whānau a Apanui, Ngāti Maniapoto and Ngāti Ruanui
- Tipene James, Ngāti Whakaue, Tapuika, Waitaha, Kearoa Tuara, Tuhoe, Ngāti Maniapoto and Tainui
- Tangirau Papa, Ngāti Koroki Kahukura, Ngāti Maniapoto and Tainui
- Lee-Anne Tatana, Ngāpuhi, Ngāti Kuri, Ngāti Kahu and Te Aupouri
The Scholarship Fund was established in 1945 to commemorate Māori service in the Second World War, and Second Lieutenant Te Moananui a Kiwa Ngārimu, the first Māori to be awarded the Victoria Cross.
Details of the 2019/20 winners
Ngārimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarships
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback