2023 Ngarimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarships now open
The Ngarimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarships for the 2023 academic year are now open for applications.
These scholarships recognise ākonga Māori who are undertaking university study or vocational education and training, and demonstrate characteristics that align with the values of the 28th (Māori) Battalion.
In 2023, the Ngarimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Scholarship Fund Board will award nine scholarships to support Māori success in education.
The scholarships available are:
- Three Vocational Education and Training scholarships, each valued at $10,000 for study of a minimum of 120 credits.
- Three Undergraduate scholarships, each valued up to $30,000: $10,000 per year of full-time study for up to three years.
- One Master scholarship valued up to $20,000: $10,000 per year of full-time study for up to two years.
- One Master of Education research scholarship valued up to $20,000: $10,000 per year of full-time study, for up to two years.
- One Doctoral scholarship valued up to $40,000: $20,000 per year of full-time study for up to two years.
This is the second year that the Ngarimu Vocational scholarships have been available, and to be eligible for these scholarships ākonga must be studying towards a certificate or diploma of at least 120 credits at levels 5 to 7 (non-degree).
All scholarship applicants will be assessed based on their ability to describe Ngā Āhuatanga (characteristics) they possess that are similar to those of the 28th (Māori) Battalion soldiers. Applications can be submitted in English or Te Reo Māori.
The 2022/2023 Ngarimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarship applications close 17 August 2022 for university study, and 9 September for vocational education and training.
Find out if you meet the criteria and complete an application form on Ngarimu Scholarships.
Ngarimu Video Competition for ākonga year 7 - 13
There will also be two video competition awards available for ākonga Māori who are in years 7 to 13. The Ngarimu video competition provides ākonga with an opportunity to practice storytelling and research, and to learn about the 28th (Māori) Battalion history. The videos can be made using English and/or te reo Māori.
The Ngarimu Video Competition closes on 9 September 2022.
For more information about the Ngarimu Video Competition.
If you have any questions about these scholarships or the video competition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more about the 2021/2022 Ngarimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarship round
Find out more about the 2021/2022 recipients of the Ngarimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarships.
Find out more about the video award competition winners.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback