Student Support Package for Budget 2012
Agency Disclosure Statement
This Regulatory Impact Statement has been prepared by the Ministry of Education.
It provides an analysis of options to improve the value of the student support system to the Government through changes to the Student Loan Scheme and student allowances, while also ensuring that these schemes are contributing to tertiary education priorities.
Changes to the following have been analysed:
- broadening the definition of income for student loan repayment purposes
- increasing the repayment rate for New Zealand-based borrowers
- voluntary repayment bonus policy
- the parental income threshold for student allowances
- targeting student allowances to initial years of study and qualifications
- information-matching with Inland Revenue and the New Zealand Customs Service.
None of the options considered in this Regulatory Impact Statement are likely to have an impact on business costs, impair private property rights, or override common law principles.
Certain information in this document has been withheld under the following section of the Official Information Act 1982:  9(2)(f)(iv) – to maintain the current constitutional conventions protecting the confidentiality of advice tendered by Ministers and officials.
Group Manager, Schooling Policy, Ministry of Education
18 April 2012
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback