Communities of Learning | Kāhui Ako
A Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako is a group of education and training providers (early learning, schools, kura, and post-secondary) working together to help students achieve their full potential.
Each Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako sets shared goals, or achievement challenges based on the particular needs of its children and young people.
Benefits of joining
Joining a Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako is voluntary for post-secondary providers. However, you are encouraged to join if you can support the achievement challenges of one or more Communities of Learning | Kāhui Ako in your area.
By joining you can:
- support the transition of students from secondary into tertiary education or training more effectively.
- proactively support students’ interests and strengths, encouraging them to extend their learning pathways beyond secondary education
- support learning pathways linking to further study, training and/or employment (particularly where there are regional opportunities)
You can still join a Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako as well as being part of a Youth Guarantee partnership.
Employers and community members can also join
Membership isn’t limited to education providers – community members and employers can also join Communities of Learning | Kāhui Ako.
Examples of achievement challenges
Examples of achievement challenges relevant to post-secondary education and training providers include:
- increasing the percentage of students leaving school with NCEA level 2 or higher
- improving pathways to participation in tertiary education (for example, at least 90% of all school leavers in full time employment or tertiary level learning aligned to a planned pathway)
Find out about Communities of Learning | Kāhui Ako in your area and get involved
Contact your local Director of Education to discuss what's involved. You can also ring 0800 IES INFO (0800 437 4636) or email IES.firstname.lastname@example.org
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback