Early Learning Funding Update – May 2018
Funding reminders for the Early Learning Sector for May 2018including upcoming financial reporting and operational funding key information.
Payment of next instalment
On 2 July 2018, the Ministry will pay the next instalment of ECE operational funding. There are a few things you need to do to ensure you receive this funding:
- Services must submit their RS7 Return between 1-8 June 2018 to receive payment on 2 July. Submissions after 8 June will result in payment at a later date.
- Services connected to ELI are required to submit the RS7 Return via their Student Management System (SMS) or ELI web. We strongly advise services to submit their electronic RS7 Returns by 6pm to be processed overnight and received by the Ministry the following day. Late evening submissions may result in delays to your payment.
- Services not connected to ELI should have received a paper RS7 form. Please contact the Ministry at email@example.com if you have not received this form.
The RS7 Return is the main funding return for early learning services. Services are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the data submitted. Once submitted, services will receive email confirmation of receipt within 2 business days. You can also check your SMS or ELI reports.
Have you changed SMS or had an ownership change?
If either of these occurred between February 2018 and May 2018, you may need to submit some of your RS7 data via the paper form. More information is available on the ELI website: RS7 Return questions and answers page(external link)
Have you had an emergency closure?
Please contact your local Ministry office if your service was forced to close due to circumstances beyond your control. Funding will continue where a service was forced to close for a short time, typically 1-2 days, when funding approval for the emergency closure is obtained from the local Ministry office.
Funding notices are mailed to services on the payment date. We are unable to provide confirmation before this date.
- For information about the funding rules, please refer to the ECE Funding Handbook published on our website.
- Information about the electronic RS7 Returns and ELI are available on the Early Learning Information System website(external link).
- For any questions, or if you need to discuss any funding issues, please contact Resourcing Support, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.
Phone: 0800 ECE ECE (323 323)
- For any licensing or general operational matters, contact your local Ministry office. Please contact your local office if you require any updates to your services contact details.
- ECE key funding dates for 2018 are published on education.govt.nz
Early learning services that receive Ministry income of more than $80,000 (including GST), and have operated for a full financial year ending in 2017, must send their audited financial statements to the Ministry of Education by 30 June 2018.
Early learning services that operated for only part of the financial year, and/or received less than $80,000 (including GST) from the Ministry, will need to complete and submit a Declaration Form [DOCX, 73 KB] by 30 June 2018.
If you don’t submit your 2017 audited financial statements, or if your statements do not meet the financial reporting requirements, your 1 November 2018 advance funding may be withheld.
All services submitting audited financial statements are required to follow new reporting standards for the financial year 2016/2017.
You can read more on financial reporting requirements in the February 2018 issue of He Pānui Kōhungahunga – the Early Learning Bulletin.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback