Recognising prior learning in ECE study

If you’ve worked in early childhood education or completed some study towards an early childhood teaching qualification, you can have this prior learning taken into account when studying for a Diploma of Teaching (ECE) or similar qualification.

Having your prior learning recognised

If you want your prior learning recognised, talk to the education institution before you enrol – but you can sometimes have this assessed after enrolment.

Having your prior learning recognised can shorten the time it takes to complete a Diploma of Teaching (ECE). But you will still have to complete at least one full year of study.

Your experience working in early childhood education can be taken into account. You will need to provide evidence of the learning you gained in your experience.

If you’re studying for a Diploma of Teaching (ECE), the maximum credit from prior learning is 2 years of a 3-year diploma or degree.

Crediting licensing points

Licensing points, which were phased out before 2005, may also give you credits towards your study. Talk to the institution before you enrol if you have these.

Learning gained outside New Zealand

Any prior learning or qualification from overseas must be assessed by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA). Visit the NZQA website(external link) to find out more.

Your qualification must be assessed as 'comparable' to a New Zealand initial teacher education qualification to be counted for licensing and funding purposes, whether or not you are granted registration.

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback