National mentoring service for Māori and Pasifika students
The National Mentoring Service is a community-based initiative. It's aimed at supporting young Māori and Pasifika students, in a culturally responsive way, to successfully achieve NCEA. Evidence shows mentoring helps students achieve academic success and the service plans to support students by working with them and their school, friends, families, whānau and communities.
- Availability of the national mentoring service
- Criteria for students to receive mentoring support
- How the service works
- Learn more
The mentoring service builds on the strengths of He Ara Tika,
The service will initially be available in selected schools in Northland, Auckland, Waikato, Opotiki, Tolaga Bay, Hawkes Bay, Taranaki, Whanganui/Manawatu, Wellington Region, and Christchurch.
For a student to be eligible for mentoring support, they must meet the following criteria:
- be Māori or Pasifika
- in Years 11, 12, or 13
- show signs they are unlikely to achieve NCEA by themselves
- the young person and their family agree to participate and enter into the programme
- the school has identified that the mentoring programme is an appropriate mechanism to support the student's NCEA achievement.
Students are supported academically, with pastoral support provided where needed. Mentors tailor the service to the student’s needs, local resources and circumstances. Mentors also work with students, their schools and their families, whānau and communities.
For more information about the mentoring service email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Māori education strategy: Ka Hikitia - Accelerating Success 2013 -2017
- Pasifika Education Plan 2013 – 2017
- Youth Guarantee (external link)
- New Zealand Qualifications Authority - National Certificate of Educational Achievement (external link)
- Careers New Zealand (external link)
- Youth Mentoring Network (external link)
- Results Based Accountability (external link)
- About Better Public Services
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback