When a student transfers or leaves school

Students changing school usually take their Ministry assistive technology with them. Students leaving school need to contact their local Ministry of Education office for advice.

Changing schools

Students who are changing schools should take their technology with them.

Whenever possible, the transition to the new school should be planned, and information about the assistive technology's purpose and use shared with the new school.

We suggest the following information is shared.

  • A copy of the original assistive technology application.
  • A meeting involving people from both the student's former school and new school.
  • A video or multimedia presentation showing the student or their team, explaining why the assistive technology is needed for learning and how it's currently being used
  • An e-portfolio with specific examples of the student's use of the technology's use its purpose.

Permission from the student’s family and whānau is required before sharing information.

As part of the process, schools also need to complete a transfer form to officially transfer the technology.

Assistive technology form — Transfer [DOCX, 134 KB]

Visit the Inclusive Education Online Knowledge Centre for more ideas and resources on what to do when a student changes schools.

Transitions: Managing times of change — Inclusive Education website (external link)

Leaving school

When a student is leaving school, contact your local Ministry office to arrange the next step.

The next step may be one of following 3 options, depending on the situation.

  1. Return the student’s assistive technology to the your local Ministry of Education office.
  2. Transfer it to the Ministry of Health (for technology items valued at more than $5,000).
  3. Request it be gifted to the student for their ongoing educational use.

Local Ministry offices

Assistive technology information sheet — Leaving school [DOCX, 53 KB]

No longer needing the technology

If your student no longer needs the assistive technology you need to download and complete the following transfer form.

Assistive technology form — Transfer [DOCX, 134 KB]

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback