How to get Novell software for your school, the products available, and how to get support and training.
Novell School Software Agreement
The schools covered
The Ministry covers the cost of the products provided in the Agreement for computers in all state and state-integrated schools.
The Agreement licenses previous and current versions of the following software:
- Novell Open Workgroup Suite:
- Novell Open Enterprise Server (includes Filr, Free Radius)
- Novell GroupWise®
- Novell Vibe®
- ZENworks® Linux Management (product is being rolled into Configuration Management)
- ZENworks Endpoint Security Management
- Libre Office
- SUSE® Linux Enterprise Desktop
- Novell/NetIQ Access Manager
- Novell/NetIQ Identity Manager
- Novell ZENworks Mobile Device Management
- Novell Endpoint Lifecycle Management Suite, including:
- ZENworks Configuration Management Suite
- Application Virtualization
- ZENworks Asset Management.
Novell no longer maintains some software
Novell is no longer maintaining two products previously licensed under the Agreement. You can continue using your currently installed version for as long as you wish:
- Border Manager (product has reached end of support, upgrade to Novell Open Enterprise Server (external link)
- Storage Manager (withdrawn as product is not in use).
Duration of the Novell Agreement
The Ministry has an agreement with Novell to provide software to New Zealand schools until 30 April 2017.
When the Ministry renews or alters the Agreement, we will inform you via the School Leaders Bulletin (He Pitopito Kōrero), the Education Gazette and this website
How to get Novell software
Datacom distributes and supports the Novell School Software Agreement.
To get access to Novell software, phone 0800 Call ICT (0800 22 55 42) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Datacom will link your school to the Ministry’s new account on the Novell software portal, providing you with ongoing access to software downloads.
How to access Novell software
1) If you don’t already have one, create an account on the Novell website (external link) .
You’ll get an email from Novell confirming your username and password.
2) Access the software by logging into your account (external link) and selecting the Ministry of Education from the drop-down menu next to ‘Select an organisation to manage’. Account details are:
Ministry of Education National Office
45-47 Pipitea Street Wellington (344577).
4) Select ’My products’ from the Customer Centre Home menu on the left. You’ll get a full list of the available software.
Single click on the software required and a list of the available versions, patches and maintenance will appear.
Double click the required item and follow the on-screen prompts to download the required software.
Help with installation and software use
The ICT Helpdesk gives free help with installation and software problems by phone and email.
Phone 0800 Call ICT (0800 22 55 42)
On-site technical support costs $100+GST per hour, plus travel.
Support and training for Novell software
Further product technical support is available from Novell:
- Phone: 0800 565 659 (standard business hours)
- Novell’s Technical Support (external link)
The Ministry’s account number for logging a service request online is 7303137.
You can also email a copy of your support query to Novell’s local sales engineer email@example.com.
Training for Novell software
eLearning modules on Novell’s' website (external link) . Modules vary in length from a few minutes to hours.
Customised training and certification, for a fee Search for a training provider (external link) . Your school can get additional, in-depth training and support from an IT support partner or training provider.
The Technology Transfer Partners (TTP) (external link) . The group provides:
- education-specific self-help resources
- a forum for knowledge-sharing among academic users
- access to early releases/demonstrations of products
- a direct channel for feedback to Novell.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback