Maintaining your upgraded network
All schools have had their ICT infrastructure upgraded through the School Network Upgrade Project (SNUP), allowing them to make the most of ultrafast broadband. By the end of 2018, the Wireless School Network Upgrade Project (WSNUP) will also be completed. Schools are responsible for keeping their ICT network maintained to the current Ministry standard.
If your school is planning to undertake maintenance or repair work you need to use a Ministry approved contractor who is a registered installer of the cabling product already in place in your school. This will ensure warranties provided for existing installations do not become void. Read information on how to find an approved ICT contractor.
Budget for maintenance
Your school property plan includes budgeting for maintenance of your school ICT network. Ensure that you plan for the:
- cost of any cabling repairs from your 5-year budget (5YA) or Policy 1 funding
- replacement of network switches and/or wireless equipment from your furniture and equipment (F&E) budget or other funding source
Every five years you’ll need to budget to cover for failures and technology developments in switch and wireless hardware. The expected life of your cabling is 15 to 20-years.
For any maintenance to your ICT network you will need to hire an ICT contractor from the Ministry’s list of approved contractors.
- Download the Approved ICT Contractor list
- Read about the responsibilities of a Ministry approved contractor
Read about upgrading a school network
If you are planning on undertaking a school ICT network upgrade read the ICT Infrastructure in Schools Operations Manual, which covers the processes and scope for installations and upgrades.
Network Support Extensions
Contractors are asked not to enter into separate warranty agreements with schools. From September 2018 to 30 June 2019, the Ministry is providing IT network support extensions for schools whose wireless and switch hardware warranty has exceeded the five year anniversary of their Wireless School Network Upgrade Project (WSNUP).
- Information brief for State and State Integrated schools - Network support extension [PDF, 469 KB]
- Fact sheet - Extending network support for switches and wireless [PDF, 642 KB]
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback