School Transport - Accidents and incidents

What happens when there's an accident or incident?

First aid

  • The driver or transport service provider contacts emergency services.
  • The driver will then follow the health and safey guidelines of the transport service provider.

Who notifies people?

The driver or transport service provider notifies:

  • Emergency services.

The transport service provider notifies:

  • Bus Controllers at the schools serviced by the route.
  • Regional Transport Advisors at the local Ministry of Education office.

If there has been serious injury or death, the police notify:

  • Caregivers or next of kin.

For less serious injuries, principals or Bus Controllers immediately notify:

  • Caregivers of all students who were on board.

The Bus Controller at the school notifies:

  • The principals of the schools serviced by the route.

The Regional Transport Advisor immediately notifies:

  • Ministry of Education School Transport team at national office.

After the event

The transport service provider:

  • Writes a report to the Regional Contract Manager at the Ministry of Education detailing the circumstances of the accident/incident, as soon as possible.
  • Writes a report on their investigation, including identifying any remedial action required.

The Regional Transport Advisor from the Ministry of Education:

  • Liaises with the school, the transport service provider and the Ministry’s national office as needed.

The New Zealand Police Commercial Vehicle Investigation Unit:

  • Investigates commercial vehicle accidents or incidents.

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback