Pools: Accessibility for students with special needs

Find out how to pay for modifications to pools for students with special needs.

On this page:

  • Off-site pools
  • Hoists

Off-site pools

You can get funding for modifications to improve access to swimming pools that are not on your school's property, but are owned by the Ministry.

Funding does not cover pools owned by the community or council (you'll need to contact the pool's owner).

Swimming pool hoists

The Ministry will consider funding a fixed pool hoist through special education property modifications funding, but only if the pool is Ministry owned.

A fixed pool hoist is usually bolted to the ground and powered by water hydraulics. This can be moved with the student when they change schools. If the new school cannot accommodate it, it remains at the original school.

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback