Council rates paid by schools

As a board of trustees you do not have to pay general rates for your school land to the local council, as the Crown is exempt under the Local Government (Rating) Act 2002.

If your local council asks you to pay rates

You don’t have to pay general (land) rates to the local council; but you may have to pay ‘targeted’ rates for sewerage (wastewater), water and rubbish collection if these are separately charged by the local council.

If your local council is asking you to pay general rates, you can point out section 8(1) of the Local Government (Rating) Act 2002 (external link) which states that the land described in Part 1 of Schedule 1 is non-rateable. Schedule 1 of the Local Government (Rating) Act 2002 (external link) lists the ‘educational establishments’ that this applies to and includes, state schools, state integrated schools, private schools and not for profit early childhood education centres.

You still have to pay general rates for teacher and caretaker houses that are on separate land titles and under board management.

If you have further problems, contact your local Ministry office.

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback