Development and operating of enrolment schemes for state schools
The following guidelines cover setting up a new enrolment scheme, altering an enrolment scheme and operating an enrolment scheme
The purpose of an enrolment scheme
The purpose of an enrolment scheme is to:
- avoid overcrowding or the likelihood of overcrowding at the school
- ensure that the selection of applicants for enrolment at the school is carried out in a fair and transparent manner
- enable the Secretary to make the best use of existing networks of State schools.
An enrolment scheme must, as far as possible, ensure that:
- the scheme doesn't exclude local students and
- no more students are excluded from the school than is necessary to avoid overcrowding.
Pre-enrolment processes and balloting for out of zone applicants
Download the Instructions relating to the operation of enrolment schemes for pre-enrolment processes and ballots for out of zone students.
Refer to sections 11A to 11PA of the Education Act 1989 for full details
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback