Stand-downs, suspensions, exclusions and expulsions guidelines - part 1
These Guidelines are designed to assist boards of trustees, principals, and teachers with their legal options and duties and meet their obligations under relevant statutory requirements and are for use in all state and state-integrated schools. Independent schools may also wish to adopt this guide.
The Guidelines comprise:
These guidelines replace those published by the Ministry of Education in June 2004 and the 2007 Supplement. The paragraphs have been numbered for ease of use and reference. Cross references to Part 2, Good practice are given where relevant.
Licensing Criteria Cover
This section provides information about the role of the principal including making a decision to stand-down or suspend a student and their obligations during a stand-down or suspension.
In this section
- Principal's decision - Information to help guide principals through the decision-making process
- Flowchart 1: Principal considers possible stand-down or suspension - At all times, the principles of natural justice apply - act fairly and reasonably in the circumstances
- During a stand-down - This page outlines a principal's obligations during a stand-down
- Flowchart 2: Stand-downs: Action by principal following decision to stand-down - This flowchart outlines the actions that may be taken by a principal following a decision to stand-down a student
- During a suspension - This page outlines a principal's obligations during a suspension