Special education supports children and students to access the curriculum by providing extra help, adapted programmes or learning environments, specialised equipment or materials.
Our Special Education Update is about improving the education system for children and students who need additional learning support.
The Inclusive Education website has teaching strategies for supporting children and students with special education needs.
We provide services and support to schools in different ways:
Working in special education
Services and support for both individual students and schools
- Request support from the Ministry of Education Southern Region [DOCX, 117 KB]
- Behaviour services to help schools and students
- Communications service Supporting students with communication needs
- Early intervention service (for children 5 years and under)
- Intensive Wraparound Service (IWS) for students with severe behaviour challenges
- Positive Behaviour for Learning (PB4L)
- Physical Disability Service
- Resource Teachers: Learning and Behaviour service (RTLB)
- Specialist Teacher Outreach Service
Other school options for students with high needs
- Day special schools for students with high needs
- Regional health schools for children who can’t attend school because they are unwell
- Residential special schools – for students with vision, hearing, behavioural and learning needs
- Assistive technology
- Ongoing Resourcing Scheme (ORS)
- Section 9 agreement for special education services
- School High Health Needs Fund (SHHNF)
- Autism spectrum disorder (ASD)
- In-Class Support funding
- National Transition Guidelines for students with special education needs
- Teacher aide resource funding information
For information on special education or inclusive education:
Phone: 0800 622 222
For help, or to refer a child or young person to us: contact your local Ministry office.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback