You can make a complaint in writing, email, by ringing us or at a face- to-face meeting.

Complaint about

Where to complain

Complaints about the Ministry of Education

For all complaints about the Ministry 


Historic Claim for abuse or neglect at a residential special school before 1989

Historic claims process

Complaints about education providers

ECE service complaints

Complaints about your early childhood education services (external link)

School or related complaints

Speak to the Principal, then to the Board of Trustees. If you're not happy with the response from the school, contact your local office for support.
Local Ministry offices

Or you can contact the Office of the Ombudsman.
Office of the Ombudsman (external link)

A complaint about a teacher

Complaints about teachers should usually first go to the teacher’s employer (the school board), to give them a chance to investigate your concerns. If you are not happy with how the school has dealt with the issue, you can raise your concerns with the Education Council.

Education Council (external link)

If you have a concern or complaint about the use of seclusion in a school, contact your local Ministry office straightaway.

Local Ministry office

Statutory Intervention complaints

Complaints can be about a statutory appointee working in a school.  This may be a Specialist Adviser, Limited Statutory Manager or a Commissioner. 


Raise your complaint directly with the statutory appointee first. If you're not happy with the response from the appointee, contact your 

Local Ministry office.

Complaints about other education organisations

Education organisations like New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) Education Review Office (ERO) and Tertiary Education Commission (TEC)

Send your complaint to the relevant organisation.

Our complaints process

Once we've received your complaint we'll get in touch with you within 2 working days to discuss how we'll handle it.

If you're still not happy with how we're handling your complaint

If you're not happy about the way we're handling your complaint you can lodge a complaint about us with the Office of the Ombudsman.

Office of the Ombudsman (external link)

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback