Winners of Ngārimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarships announced
The 2017/18 winners of the prestigious Ngārimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarships have been announced at a celebration at Parliament today.
Awarded annually in honour of the 28th (Māori) Battalion, the scholarships exemplify excellence in education as well as service and commitment to the community.
The nine winners were announced today by Associate Minister of Education and Ngārimu Board Chair, the Hon Kelvin Davis, and by the Minister for Youth, the Hon Peeni Henare, also a member of the Ngārimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarship Fund Board.
The winners are:
Undergraduate scholarship winners
- Mairarangi Haimona (Waikato, Te Arawa)
- Ngāpera Keegan (Waikato, Ngāti Maniapoto, Ngāti Porou, Ngāti Raukawa, Ngāti Apakura)
- Johannah Katene-Burge (Ngāti Toarangatira, Ngāti Tama, Te Ātiawa, Ngāti Raukawa, Taranaki, Tūwharetoa, Te Tau Ihu o Te Waka a Māui)
Masters Scholarship winners
- Kimiora Kaire-Melbourne (Tūhoe, Ngāpuhi, Ngāti Kahungunu)
- Te Aorere Pēwhairangi (Ngāti Porou)
- Te Puoho Katene (Ngāti Toarangatira, Ngāti Tama, Ngāti Whātua)
Doctoral Scholarship winners
- Pauline Adams (Te Whānau-ā-Apanui)
- Dr Jamie-Lee Tuhoe (Ngāti Porou, Ngāti Whātua ki Kaipara, Te Atihaunui-ā-Pāpārangi)
Manakura Award winner
Te Hemanawa (Hema) Temara (Tūhoe)
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback