Legislative changes: schools and early learning services
There are new legislative requirements which have recently, or are about to, come into effect. These new Acts, regulations and standards will affect your school, kura or early learning service. This information will help you to meet the new requirements.
There are 2 key requirements for schools, kura and early learning services under the Vulnerable Children Act 2014:
- To have a child protection policy in place.
- To safety check all who work regularly with children and whose work is paid (or unpaid if part of an educational or vocational training course).
|1 July 2016||
|1 July 2018||
|1 July 2019||
- Vulnerable Children Act 2014 - requirements for schools and kura
- Vulnerable Children Act 2014 - requirements for ECE
- Go to the Vulnerable Children Act 2014 on the Legislation website
|4 April 2016||
- Health and Safety for ECE Services
- Health and Safety for Schools and Kura
- Go to the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 on the legislation website
|1 March 2016||
|31 March 2017||
|30 June 2017||
|30 June 2018||
The Food Act 2014 makes sure the food that businesses sell is safe and suitable to eat. It also provides tools for businesses to manage their food safety. Under the Act, all schools, kura, early childhood (ECE) services and kōhanga reo must make sure the food they serve children is safe and suitable to eat.
However, depending on the type of food service provided, some will have obligations under the new food safety law – the Food Act 2014 (the Food Act) and the Food Regulations 2015 (the Food Regulations).
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback