Scholarships and financial help
Further education scholarships, awards and financial help from the Ministry of Education and from other providers.
- General information
- Teaching and Special education
- Overseas study and for international students
- Givme (external link) is a searchable database of over 2,200 awards, scholarships and grants for individuals in New Zealand.
- Careers New Zealand (external link) provides information and advice to help you make good decisions about work, study and training. It also provides a list of scholarships, grants and awards (external link) .
- Universities New Zealand (external link) has information on scholarships for study in New Zealand's universities or overseas.
- The Reserve Bank of New Zealand (external link) offers scholarships to students who are majoring in Economics, Finance or Banking at Honours, Masters or PhD level. There are also separate scholarships for second year Māori and Pasifika students to encourage study in these fields.
- The Māori Education Trust (external link) provides financial assistance for Māori students undertaking tertiary study.
- The Sir Apirana Ngata Memorial Scholarship (external link) is for Māori students studying in any field in any tertiary education institution. Preference is given to descendents of Māori World War One veterans.
- Ngārimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarships These are offered to enterprising, innovative and influential Māori, who meet the criteria and possess characteristics that are identified as being consistent with those of the 28th Māori Battalion.
- Pacific Islands Polynesian Education Foundation scholarships open now closing 7 April 2017
- Each year, TeachNZ offers a limited number of scholarships to encourage people to train as teachers in the areas where there is greatest need. Details of these scholarships are available on the TeachNZ website (external link) .
- Special Education Scholarships and Awards opened 1 August and close between September 2016 and January 2017.
- Study Awards in Māori and Pasifika Education Research (external link) are to help emerging education researchers contribute to the body of knowledge in Māori or Pasifika education research in their Masters or PhD.
- New Zealand Educated (external link) provides scholarship information for both international and New Zealand students.
- Chevening Scholarships (external link) , funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and administered by the British Council, are prestigious awards which enable overseas students to study in the United Kingdom. It offers young New Zealanders annual scholarships in three categories: journalism, politics and postgraduate study.
- Fulbright Graduate Student Awards (external link) are provided to New Zealanders and Americans who demonstrate academic excellence and leadership potential to undertake postgraduate study in the other country.
- The New Zealand Aid Programme (external link) provides support for citizens of some developing countries to undertake vocational training or tertiary level study in their home country, in New Zealand or in the Pacific region.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback