Advice for Ministry Suppliers
This section was updated on Monday 18 May at at 9:30am.
As the COVID-19 situation evolves we want to keep you updated on what we’re doing to manage the impact on our people, schools, suppliers and ongoing projects.
Update for all Ministry suppliers
- We have a dedicated email address to support our suppliers, service providers and partners with queries related to COVID-19: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please direct your queries to this mailbox which is managed by our procurement team. This will ensure that each query is managed consistently and promptly as we all work to support suppliers and the education sector throughout COVID-19.
- The Ministry will continue to adhere to the Government’s new payment-term expectations of 10 days for processing supplier payments. Please ensure the Purchase Order Number is included on your invoice to ensure prompt processing.
- COVID-19 has resulted in many emails to the Ministry with offers of support and innovative ideas to ensure the Ministry and schools have access to products and services they need to operate as COVID-19 Alert Levels change. Supporting all businesses that provide goods and services to the education sector in New Zealand is of paramount importance to the Ministry as we work to support the sector throughout COVID-19. Where possible, we are leveraging our existing supply agreements and centrally negotiated all-of-government agreements to deliver solutions quickly. Where this is not possible, we may expedite procurement processes within the government procurement framework to implement solutions.
- COVID-19 has resulted in a number of our suppliers, service providers and partners being unable to deliver goods and services as they would normally and/or as contractually agreed due to circumstances outside their control. We encourage our suppliers, service providers and partners to keep working with their Ministry contacts to communicate how they plan to deliver services under each COVID-19 Alert Level. It remains important to the Ministry to support industry and ensure economic activity is maintained, providing as much certainty as possible to our suppliers, service providers, partners and their staff. Our staff will work with each supplier, service provider and partner on a case-by-case basis to resolve issues that arise as a result of COVID-19.
Contracts coming up for renewal, tenders in or about to go to market
- We recognise that the COVID-19 response may have impacted your ability to respond to requests for information or tenders within the set deadlines. Equally, it has impacted our ability to progress through the various stages of many of our procurements. If you have queries relating to a specific tender, please contact the nominated Ministry staff member for the specific tender or send your query to email@example.com.
- Ministry staff will be maintaining progress on the existing pipeline of projects where possible throughout each COVID-19 Alert Level. Please note however, some requirements may need to be reviewed, and depending on availability of key personnel, there may be delays.
- Closing dates for current tenders awaiting market responses will continue to be reviewed and revised timeframes will be advised as soon as possible to minimise any potential impact on our suppliers, service providers and partners.
- We will continue to assess each procurement requirement on a case-by-case basis, and tenders not yet released are being prioritised, while considering the market’s ability to respond. Some activities may be deferred to align with changing restrictions within each COVID-19 Alert Level.
Resuming school construction projects
We value the support that the construction industry provides to deliver quality learning environments for schools across New Zealand and understand that everyone is keen to see their school construction projects restarted as soon as possible.
However, this needs to be balanced with our priority of keeping workers and the wider community healthy and safe by preventing the spread of COVID-19.
In line with the latest advice from CHASNZ and the Construction Sector Accord COVID-19 response group, we have made slight adjustments to our Main Contractor Checklist to reflect the change to alert levels and have updated the checklist on our website.
If you have already submitted a completed checklist for a project under Alert Level 3, you don’t need to complete another one. This revised checklist only needs to be completed for new projects or existing projects that are yet to resume.
Consultants are allowed to travel to sites under Alert Level 2 and will need to adhere to the site protocols. However, we ask that visits are restricted to events that aren’t suitable for online meetings, ie, physical site inspections to undertake refurbishment or demolition asbestos surveys, Geotech investigations, etc.
The checklist can be downloaded from our Recommencing and operating school construction projects safely after COVID-19 Alert Level 4 page
- Classroom upgrades a boost for regional economies
- Health advice, self-isolation etc – Ministry of Health (external link)
- Unite against COVID-19 – inter-agency government website (external link)
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Give us your feedback